A Farewell To Pixels
The time is nearing when Pixels will be no more… it might seem harsh and sudden, but we can assure you that we’ve thought long and hard about this, and we would not have decided to remove them unless we had something else up our sleeve that we think would work better!
In order to answer some questions that will undoubtedly surface in the aftermath of these news, I asked Heini for some answers. Here’s what she had to say!
* Why are Pixels being removed?
When Pixels were originally created, we had a different system in mind, a system more like Frequent Flyer Miles. A type of currency you earn based on your activity AND that will expire. Because the expiration was never implemented for Pixels, we are now in a situation in which we cannot really design anything cool that both new and old Habbos could get their hands on (without it being worth nothing), the Pixel imbalance is just too big. In other words, this system did not work the way it was intended. That’s why we introduced seasonal currencies instead, like Hearts etc.
* When will the Pixels be removed?
It won’t happen suddenly, and you’ll have plenty of time to prepare. This week we’ll start out by removing Pixel earnings from Quests and Achievements, change fireworks charging to unlimited (so you can charge without Pixels). Next week we’ll be launching a special Farewell To Pixels campaign, with new, cool items that you can buy for your remaining Pixels. Then probably around June 19 (we might install a count down timer in the Hotels), Pixels will be removed.
* Why didn’t you try to create better rewards for Pixels instead of creating new currencies all the time, like Hearts, Snowflakes, Nuts etc?
As mentioned above, pricing Pixel items proved to be extremely hard, because there was such a huge imbalance. Some Habbos have hundreds of thousands of Pixels and some have only got a few hundred. Seasonal currencies are easier to tie into campaigns and the activities we do (competitions, Quests and promotions).
* Speaking of Hearts, Snowflakes, Nuts etc, will we keep getting currencies like those? Will we be able to earn them? And will we be able to buy stuff with those currencies only?
Yes, they will stay and we’ll give them even more attention during upcoming campaigns! And yes, there will be items that you can get using only that currency, while some will be available with both Credits and the seasonal currency.
* Right now, we earn a few Pixels everytime we get a new Achievement, with Pixels removed, will we get something else instead?
We are looking at the whole Achievement system (also related to Talents and new paths), re-evaluating the rewards. Instead of Pixels, in the future, Achievements will sometimes earn you badges, and sometimes fun new skills and tools!
* I have fifteen trillion Pixel points (or thereabouts), what do I do with them? There’s not enough for me to spend them on and I don’t want thousands of Pixel Beds… Did I earn it all for nothing?
We might have something in the Farewell To Pixels campaign that costs fifteen trillion pixels (or thereabouts), let’s see… ;)
* What happens to Pixel Effects?
You can stock up on Effects during the campaign, after that we will take the Effects away for a while in order to renew them. In the future, some of them might cost Credits (in that case the expiration will be longer or you can buy them in packs), while some will be given as free rewards from Quests and competitions, or even from the Ecotron. Maybe we could even make Effects that could be harvested from Monster Plants… how about that for an idea? :)
* How about Special Effects that I can rent for my room, or stuff like Pixel Furni, Automobile Furni and Hello Furni? Will we have to pay for those now, or will you just remove them altogether?
We’ll probably remove them for now and have them as part of the campaigns/seasonal offerings. New Habbos will still get items for free when they join, as usual, and we have some other fun plans up our sleeve as well!
* What about the Pixel Pet Foods? My pet will starve…
We will check the pet food packages and pricing to make sure no pets will starve!
* I was hoping for another Pixel Cat! Will that happen in the future?
We might have something like that with our future campaign currency, stay tuned! :)
PS. Habbo will still appear in its Pixelicious form, thus this Blog will not change its name ;P